Public Works provides loose leaf collection, twice per month, to single family dwellings and duplexes year-round.
Loose leaves may be either placed in 95-gallon water-tight roll-out container or raked in a pile curbside for collection. No plastic or paper bags are allowed.
Large/Oversized Piles: will have a fee assessed to the collection. Please call Public Works for more information.
Please help our community improve travel safety for all, especially cyclists and pedestrians, by putting out your yard waste close to your collection day, and not placing leaves in the street or blocking sidewalks, bike lanes, or storm drains.
Loose leaves may be placed in a 95-gallon roll-out container or piled at the curb for collection. Please follow the collections guidelines below.
Loose Leaves Placed in 95-Gallon Roll-out Containers:
- Place container at the street with the lid opening towards the street.
- Allow 3 - 5 feet of clearance between your container and any other item.
- Do not place yard waste cart in drainage ditch, bike lane, street, or on sidewalk.
- Filled roll-out containers (other than Town roll-out containers) must not weigh more than 50 pounds.
Loose Leaves Placed Curbside in a Pile:
- Loose leaf piles should be long and narrow and placed as close to the curb as possible (within 10 feet).
- Do not place loose leaves in drainage ditch, bike lane, street, or on sidewalk.
Thank you for following these tips. It helps us provide better service to you.
Residents from Hillsborough Rd., Greensboro St., Hanna St., and points south will have yard waste collection on 1st and 3rd Monday of each month. All points north of Hillsborough Rd., Greensboro St., and Hanna St. will have yard waste collection on the 2nd and 4th Monday of the month. If a month has 5 Mondays, there will be no yard waste pickup on the 5th Monday. Yard waste collection may be cancelled or delayed due to inclement weather.
Click on the map below and enter your address into the search bar to find your trash, bulk waste, and yard waste collection days.
Household waste, bulk waste, yard waste, and loose leaf collection days may change during holiday weeks. Please see the 2022 Holiday Collection Schedule below for collection day changes. Recycling services are managed by Orange County Solid Waste Management. For more information, please visit Orange County Solid Waste Management.
Reminder: There is no yard waste or loose-leaf collection on the 5th Monday of the month.
2023 Solid Waste Holiday Collection Schedule
New Year’s Day – January 2nd - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday’s yard waste collection is on Tuesday, January 3rd.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - January 16th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday’s yard waste collection is on Tuesday, January 17th.
Easter Friday - April 7th - No Household Trash Collection
Friday’s household waste collection is on Monday, April 10th.
Memorial Day - May 29th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday’s yard waste collection is on Tuesday, May 30th.
Juneteenth - June 19th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday’s yard waste collection is on Tuesday, June 20th.
Labor Day - September 4th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday’s yard waste collection is on Tuesday, September 5th.
Thanksgiving Holiday Week - November 20th - November 24th
- Household Waste Schedule– 2 Days Early
- Wednesday’s household waste collection is on Monday, November 20th
- Thursday’s household waste collection is on Tuesday, November 21st
- Friday’s household waste collection is on Wednesday, November 22nd
- No Bulk Waste Collection - There will be no bulk waste collected Thanksgiving week.
- No Yard Waste Collection - There will be no yard waste collected Thanksgiving week.
Christmas Holiday Week – December 22nd - December 26th
- Household Waste Schedule– 1 Day Early
- Wednesday’s household waste collection is on Tuesday, December 19th
- Thursday’s household waste collection is on Wednesday, December 20th
- Friday’s household waste collection is on Thursday, December 21st
- No Yard Waste Collection - There will be no yard waste collected Christmas week.
Yard waste containers may be purchased from Town Hall receptionist at 301 W Main Street or you may print a Roll-out Waste Container Order Form (PDF) and mail it to Town of Carrboro along with a check or money order:
Town of Carrboro, 301 W Main Street, Carrboro, NC 27510
Public Works will deliver the container to your residence within 2 business days of receipt of payment. Please contact Public Works at 919-918-7425 for current container pricing.
FREE Leaf Compost
FREE leaf compost is available to Carrboro residents. For more information, please visit our Free Leaf Compost web page.