Can I, as a homeowner, do my own work?
Yes, an owner of the property can do their own building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work. The owner does not need to be licensed in any of these areas, nor does he need a Town of Carrboro privilege license. State law requires that the property be the owner's primary residence for at least 12 months after completion of the work. The owner cannot be General Contractor on rental property unless the construction costs are less than $30,000. If construction costs are less than $30,000, anyone can be the General Contractor.

Show All Answers

1. When is a permit required?
2. When is a permit not required?
3. What are the Inspections office hours?
4. Where is the Inspections office located?
5. What will I need to obtain a building permit?
6. When is a plot plan or new survey required?
7. Can I, as a homeowner, do my own work?
8. How much will my permit cost?
9. How can I access the building code?
10. Are there restrictions on availability of building permits?
11. Can you tell me the process of obtaining a permit?
12. How can I schedule an inspection?